Is Christianity Doomed?
November 25, 2008 Leave a comment
Christians nowadays are in a very unstable position although they will deny it strongly. Arguing philosophy and exegesis of the Bible is pretty much a waste of time now. The thing that is killing religion in our times is science and the unstoppable uncovering of evidence that disproves most of the foundation of all religions. Judaism, Islam and Christianity are all irrevocably tied to the Bible. All that believers in Yahweh, Elohim, Jehovah, or Allah can do nowadays is say they don’t believe the sciences that contradict their theology.
The believers in God have to deny that we can accurately date tens of thousands of artifacts and human bones and artwork and structures that are scattered all over the earth and give live testimony to our civilizations verrry looong past. The many evidences we have for our past are real and tangible and their provenance can be scientifically proven…and there is so much of it. The followers of God and Allah sometimes say that it doesn’t matter what evidence there is, God is outside of the evidence and cannot be proven…or disproven.
Perhaps true. But, what can be proven beyond a doubt, is that certain things that are described in the infallible ‘Word of God’ inspired Bible are not true and not infallible or factual and that a lot of the stories are not to be trusted as actually happening. Another thing that stands out is the actual explanation of the supposedly unfolding drama is stupid. The most stupid part is that Satan knows he will fail because it’s part of the drama that God set up…preordained from the very beginning if you will.
If you believe the story of Gods plan you have to accept the fact that God actually created this WHOLE drama from the beginning. He created all Evil, Satan, the Demons, He set up the Fall, giving us Original Sin, He was the playwright, the creator of unimaginable human suffering and death. A loving God creates two humans and actually sets them up for failure and then kicks them out of his care and lets these poor people try to survive with nothing…that part of the story is both scary and a not very bright explanation of a Gods actions. Wake up Christians…A true humane God would not do these things.
Some things to consider:
1. We know that the flood described in the Bible never happened.
2. We know that humans and civilizations were spread all over the earth in the time of the deluge and Tower of Babel.
3. We know that Neanderthals were walking the earth for tens of thousands of years before a supposed Adam and Eve were created.
4. We know that Homo sapiens or ‘modern humans’ were walking the earth tens of thousands of years before the Biblical folklore was even thought of.
5. We know that Moses did not write the Pentateuch.
6. We know, although fundamentalists deny it, that there are many, many contradictions and falsehoods in the scripture.
7. We know that the Hebrews conception of ‘God’ changed mightily over the years. They once had a pantheon of gods and worshiped idols at late as 500BCE.
8. There is no evidence outside the Bible, in other historic documents or the archeological record, for a mass migration from Egypt involving hundreds of thousands of people.
9. No evidence for Joshua’s knocking down of Jericho’s walls or destruction of Ai and other cities.
10. Archeologists also have discovered that most of the large Canaanite towns that were supposedly destroyed by invading Israelites were either not destroyed at all or were destroyed by “Sea People”-Philistines, or others.
Just the first 4 things above are enough to prove the Bible false.
Religion is a construct of the human mind…its explanation of creation is a story from a very old tribe
of Sheep/Goat herders, in the language, and with the worldview, of the times it was written in. The Old and New Testament scriptures are very different views of God, and how he treats and interacts with humans…they are not compatible…and not ‘Gods’ word.